Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Basted Eggs

So this breakfast is my most favorite to make at home. What can I say I love eggs! I am especially excited to share this with you all because the pic that I took for this recipe is actually worthy to be put on this blog! Not such an amazing feat for other people because they are camera geniuses, but for me it's a big deal.

ingredients

4 eggs
canola oil cooking spray
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh snipped herbs such as parsley, basil, chives or rosemary
(use any combination of fresh herbs that you like)

Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

Preparation
1.Lightly coat a small non-stick frying pan with canola oil cooking spray and heat over medium high.

2.Crack the eggs into a small cup. When pan is sufficiently hot pour 2 of the eggs into the pan one at a time (it is expected that they will touch while cooking). Season with salt and pepper. If you are using a “sturdy” herb such as rosemary add this now, for other delicate herbs wait until step 4 to add the herbs.

3.Cook the eggs until the whites are not longer runny. At this point pour a scant 1/8 cup water around the edge of the eggs. Cover eggs with lid and cook until yolks are at desired consistency. I like mine semi-runny so I cook them for approximately 30 seconds depending on how hot the pan is. Repeat steps 2-3 for additional eggs or use one large pan and cut the cooked eggs down the center to divide among serving plates.


4.Shake the pan so loosen the eggs from the bottom of the pan. Slide the eggs onto a serving plate and top with fresh snipped herbs of choice and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Serve with whole wheat toast, steamed asparagus, and a small cup of fruit salad for a healthy and satisfying breakfast.

My recipe, my pictures. It's a first. Isn't that sweet?

No comments:

Post a Comment